Sunday, October 5, 2008

Untitled

Wow. Today is quite the day. It's a Sunday, which is not a usual blogging day for me. But today, today I have to write. There are just too many words in my head, and let's face it, it gets crowded in there with the voices.

Today is my mom's birthday. She'd be 60. I miss her. A lot.

Today is also Conference Sunday. She loved Conference Sunday. She would cook turkey dinner, and we would meet up at her house to eat between sessions. It was the best.

17 years ago today, she and my dad were returning home with my brother from his mission to Japan. And guess what? She made sure Jill knew how to cook the turkey dinner so it would be ready for us when they arrived home.

1 year ago today we were enjoying our last "girls trip" to Seattle. We had the best time. The underground tour, the locks cruise, and Ruth's Chris. We practically had to wrestle my mom to the ground to get that bill away from her. But we did it, and it was the least we could do to show our appreciation. I would wrestle her to the ground in a second now, if i could.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that all of these events circle around this date. I find it strange that this has always been a special weekend for our family, even back 17 years. I know it will be comforting to hear our Prophet speak each year, around her birthday, and know that the words he and his disciples say will bring comfort to me. The last few days have been very emotional because of the anticipation of this weekend. I've had my share of anxiety attacks, pity party, and crying during dinner. But now, now I know that I have the knowledge and keys to see her again. And that makes this weekend even more special.

And I will be making a turkey dinner in her honor. Yams and all. And I will do it every conference Sunday, just like she did.

Happy birthday, Mom. I love you. I miss you.

No comments: