Thursday, November 12, 2009

Super Poke

Today I have to go to the doctor. Again. I hate sitting in those germ filled waiting rooms. Ick. But luckily today is only for a quick blood draw. Nothing major.

See, I've had thyroid issues for like, oh, 15 years. It's nothing major, a little pill every day and things are right with the world again.

Until bad things start happening, like my hair starts falling out, and my goiter starts coming back. Yes, I had a goiter. Like an Ethiopian orphan. It's not pretty.

So I head off to the Endocrinologist. Simple blood work should make things apparent, and then after a small adjustment of meds, I'll be fine.

But the Endo was a jerk. He told me I needed to lose 50 pounds, and that then everything would work itself out. Basically he didn't want to do his job. I explained I had already lost 30 pounds, and that things were still not good, my hair and skin were totally out of whack, and I didn't feel right. That last one should have been all he needed to hear, but some doctors are jerks, so what can you do?

You can get another doctor, and tell them the same story, and they'll realize that you not feeling right is reason enough to do blood work. Especially after dealing with symptoms of thyroid disease for 15 years.

So today I get to get a super poke in my arm, and get a whole bunch of blood work done. I've been off my thyroid meds for like 5 months, and I feel okay now, but I know that things don't fix themselves, so I'll be starting from 0, which is actually okay. Nowhere to go but up.

post signature

8 comments:

Dalynne Denhof said...

props to you for sticking up for yourself! That's one of the biggest red flags we can get is not feeling right; when we have that gut feeling that something is just not right. and like you said, it's just a matter of finding a doctor that will LISTEN and have a genuine desire to help you...best of luck today and after having babies, a blood draw poke is natta!! and if you need some positive reinforcement-just take yourself back to happy crepe land :)

Nikki said...

Paxman Family Moto: "I'm the patient...I'm paying...do the damn test!!" LOL!!

Good of you for being persistent sometimes as I'm sure you've learned it's the only way to get action.

Laura said...

I hear ya! So hard to get it right..I think I have finally almost found my perfect dose with my natural doctor, wish I had done it 10 years ago. And that doc you went to is a total JERK. Hope you told him where to stick his freaking needle.

mandee said...

I do think you know your own body! Some Dr.s have no bedside manner! Where did they go to school anyway! I hate bloodwork, but I hope it all goes well for you!

Angela said...

New doctor all the way! I swear, some doctors act like they don't know how to speak with a live person. My Grandpa had one of those while he was fighting cancer and feeling strong and full of hope. That is until a doctor told him he didn't have long and pumped him full of negative and nothing else. His spirit was never the same. What is wrong with people?!?
I am so glad you didn't accept what your doc said. Good luck with everything!

Kalli said...

Be brave! Hope it gets worked out soon, that junk is no fun.

Shar said...

No fun being poked. Bummer. Sorry for the jerky doctor. I hope you get some answers soon.

grannybabs said...

Glad it's you the guy took an attitude with - and not some Casper Milquetoast who couldn't stand up for him - or her - self!!

You go girl!!

And be well!