Monday, July 23, 2007

Yellowstone, day 7

Friday we headed north to Mammoth Hot Springs. Not my favorite part of Yellowstone due to the lack of trees and water. As I kid I remember Mammoth overflowing with water, but now it's pretty much bone dry, save a few small hot springs. However, despite my telling Emma repeatedly how it was not worth the hiking of countless steps, she insisted on finding out for herself. A quality I choose not to squash. But Maggie has little 3 year-old legs, not designed for hiking countless steps, and with a storm approaching, she and I decided to stay behind and enjoy some Raspberry Sherbet ice cream.

We had to hurry back to Canyon for our BBQ with Troy and Kelli and their kids that evening, so Mammoth was a quick trip. However, on the way back we were treated to a viewing of a Mamma Grizzly bear with 2 cubs. They were visible, just "bearly", through the binoculars, so a picture would have been futile. Besides, with my fear of bears, she was plenty close. The BBQ was great fun, the kids got filthy in the dirt, and no one was set on fire. A bonus, for sure.

No comments: