Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day Week

I couldn't possibly do a Fun For Friday today, what with Mother's Day Week coming to an end. I have to reflect back on last years post, and I realize now that I was prompted to write all these wonderful things about my mom. I miss her so much. More than any word can describe. I miss the safety net she was, I miss the comfort of normalcy that I had before she died. I miss her smile, her hugs, her laugh, her wisdom, her strength, her friendliness, her hands, her love. I know she is my angel, and I'm glad I can have that over having nothing at all.

I love you, mom.

May 9, 2008

To my mom

There are so many things that make you who you are. I couldn't possibly sum it all up in just a few paragraphs, or pages, for that matter. So I enlisted some help. Together we have racked our brains, smiled, laughed, cried, and felt pangs of homesickness, all to pay tribute to you, and your wonderful self.

Remember all those times you had to sit with me in school? Sorry.
I laugh when I think of all the times we had church activities, and you were always in charge. Always.
Making sandwiches on the cooler in the boat, and you only forgot the knife once.
The smell of Gardenia lotion in your bedroom.
The way you have the B. in your name.
Putting your family first, even when it's hard.
Discovering that you might have a bit of a rebel in you. Just a bit.
Au Gratin potatoes and chicken noodle soup. And Nasi. And turkey dinner, and rolls, and roll-ups, and I think we eat too much...
The way you send out cards "just because" to random people.
The way you keep friends for a hundred years.
Trying to find your way out of the ZCMI parking garage.
Keeping your cool when your sweet Cadillac lost the brakes on the way home from the mall.
Flying away at a moments notice when one of us needs you.
Using the "facilities" in a nice new house, when there was no running water.
Always saying "this too shall pass" and other fine words of wisdom.
Staying calm when the motorhome battery exploded, and just blowing out the flame.
Saying "Time to find a beach".
Pokey.
The yellow Blazer.
Your beautiful fingernails.
The way you love every piece of jewelry you've ever owned.
Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Shall I go on?
And last but certainly not least, QVC.

Mom, we love you. You are the rock we cling to, the light in our tunnel, and most of all, our friend forever. We couldn't do any of this "life" stuff without you.

Happy Mother's Day


Photobucket

No comments: