Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Gettin' My Hillbilly On

We're headed south this weekend.

It's a place in Kentucky called Land Between The Lakes. Hmmm, that name leaves quite a bit to the imagination, doesn't it? I wonder if it's between some lakes? Could be.

Anyway, here's the best (meaning first) image I could find on Google Images that shows just where in Kentucky this place is. Please disregard the whole "Pygmy Rattlesnake" thing, since I'm blocking that out in my mind, since snakes totally gross me out.



So we're leaving Friday before noon, since we have to head pretty much due South, straight through the city. I don't want to get stuck in weekend traffic. It's a 7+ hour drive, so we should arrive and start setting up camp just as the mosquitoes are out in full force. I'm just grateful that I can hang out in the trailer and do the "women-folk stuff" while Sugar Daddy does the outside stuff.

Really, this post isn't about all that. I was meaning to post about all the yummy food I'm making to take with us. I learned this from my mom. She always took a couple of days before any trip and started baking and cooking everything in advance. Now that I have my own family and my own RV, I find myself doing the same things she did. Funny.

So, as we speak, I have potatoes baking in the oven so I can shred them and make them into Au Gratin potatoes tomorrow. Also, I have cream cheeses softening so I can make Nunn Bee's Roll-Ups, and Shrimp Dip. I was going to bake cookies, but Sugar Daddy got a little carried away at the grocery store, and I think I'm off the hook for those. I'll also be making Mom's Sloppy Joe's tomorrow, for which I don't exactly have a recipe, but I think I can figure it out.

Speaking of recipes, Jill was kind enough to gift me a book full of my Mom's recipes. It's the best treasure I've acquired in a long time. I love looking through all the funny recipes of stuff she used to make, and it's all in her handwriting, which I miss so much! So all of these yummy recipes from years past have opened up a lot of options for dinners. Stuffed Mushrooms, anyone? How about Crab Drink?

Anyway, wish us luck as we head to Kentucky. We'll also be visiting Missouri to see the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. And then perhaps a trip into Tennessee just to say we've been there. So that will get us 3 more states under our belts! Yay!



post signature

7 comments:

Kate said...

and if you are in Tennessee, then why not keep going to GA?

mandee said...

I always knew you would get around! :O LOL! Have a great trip! Try not to work too hard!

Michelle said...

You will love Land Between Lakes. It is in a beautiful area of Kentucky. You will have a great time. I am jealous. You are making me miss Kentucky. We loved living there.

Have fun. Be safe.

Tami Allred said...

Ok I'm hungry now and for some reason I don't think of you as a cook. I'm glad you clarified that and when are we going to get together for food then?

Nikki said...

Mmm Stuffed mushrooms sound sooo good.

I too bake before camping. Mostly because anything I have pre-cooked means less work while there.

Have a Blast.

Jessie said...

Sounds so fun! And the food while camping is always the best part. We need to head down to that part of the country. I would love to see the Eastern end of Kentucky, but you will have to fill me in on what the West side has to offer! Have a nice time!

Meg & Josh said...

Ask Jill for the Sloppy Joe recipe, I do everytime I make it!

I am making them too for Lake Powell. How funny.

I make fried cabbage like once a week. Remember that?