Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Monday

Each day, while taking my kids to school, I see a plethora of exercisers and the like out and about. I imagine they have all been out running miles and miles before I ever see them, but since I'm in a neighborhood, I'm sure they've probably just started.

But this gets me thinking that I need to get back out there. I just need more support. The kind of support I need was told as a story on Radio From Hell this morning. I'll recap for you.

Richie was out for a training run for the Vancouver Marathon that is in a few weeks. He had just started when he came upon an intersection of roads that was closed. His first thought was that perhaps there had been an accident of some kind, until he saw a runner go by. He then realized the road was closed for the SLC Marathon.

So what did he do? He joined in. He ran along side the competitors, drank their Powerade and soaked up the encouraging claps and whistles as he ran the final 13 miles of the marathon route. And at the end, he just ducked out a few yards from the finish, called his girlfriend to come and pick him up, and had a beer at home.

Now that is my kind of support. Road closed, free Powerade at various intervals, and crowds of cheering spectators, all for a little run.

Anyone up for a run tonight?


post signature

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Funny, I have decided that I would like to start running. However, I think it will be a slow start...with swearing and sucking A LOT of air. If your up for helping me swear and suck air I'm up for running. :)

Larissa said...

I've run the neighborhood a few times. I'll go with ya but I suck and we may have to walk sometimes! I have good runs and bad runs and on the bad runs...they are really bad! :(

Meg & Josh said...

I gotta do something too, swimsuit season is right around the corner. I'm worried I will have to buy a one piece this year :)

Kathie said...

I'm in!!! Where should we meet:)

amy k said...

I wish we lived closer! I would love to start running again. And to your comment....yes it is good to put it out there (I still am holding a little back.) But it did feel good.