Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Counting Sheep

1, baa.
2, baa.
3, baa.

I could go on and on. And on all night. I am having a little trouble sleeping. I have a couple of theories about my new friend, insomnia, though. You wanna hear 'em? Cool.

1. I stopped taking my thyroid medication. I was sweating all the time. Like All.The.Time. Just ask any of my sibs, and they can attest that I was, in fact, exuding hotness profusely. I think this has thrown my circadian rhythms out of whack.

2. I have stress. Not major, life and death stress, anymore, but more like a just -beneath -the- surface, itch- you -can't- scratch kind of stress. It's annoying. And with this kind of stress, if I do in fact fall asleep, as soon as any kind of sound is made, I am wide awake. Not cool.

3. My husband snores like a rockstar. And not like the Jonas Brothers kind of rockstar. More like an 80's hair band has-been kind of rockstar. Good heavens, it drives me up the wall! I swear some nights he is suffocating. And sometimes, I don't really care if he is. At least he would be quiet for a moment. Seriously, though. I love him, I do. But after this Removula surgery, it was supposed to be better. It really isn't. Bummer.

4. As soon as I get comfy, not too hot, not too cold, pillow just right, my brain swarms with words. Just random sentences. No plot or even correct grammar at times. It's very frustrating, what with the voices in there and all. Did I mention I hear voices? I know, you're not surprised. It's okay, neither am I. Or I. Or I.

Okay, so maybe tonight will be different. Maybe it won't. I don't really care anymore. One thing I do know, is if it isn't, I'm not taking it lying down anymore. Get it? Ha, I crack me up! I'm seriously doing something productive in the middle of the night. I can't take another 4 hours of watching the clock, drifting in and out, wondering if I'm awake or asleep. No more, I say.

What do you do with your insomnia?

No comments: